Thursday, July 30, 2009

Please help a non-science student get through his general-ed biology course: I have to synthesize a protein...

...and I have no idea what this is asking





There is a sense strand:


A G T C G G A T T





I understand that I eventually use a table to uncode amino acids from mRNA.....





But in between I am asked for





Template Strand:


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





mRNA (codons):


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





tRNA (anti-codons):


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





Amino acids:


_______ ________ _______





At what point do I start using my translation table? Before then how do I figure out how to do this? I'm lost.

Please help a non-science student get through his general-ed biology course: I have to synthesize a protein...
It is not that difficult. You have:


5’ AGTCGGATT 3’ (A-T, T-A, G-C, C-G)


3’ TCAGCCTAA 5’ (A-U, T-A, G-C, C-G)


5’ AGUCGGAUU 3’


All you have to do now is using the genetic code (take a look at the table here: http://employees.csbsju.edu/hjakubowski/... to find your protein consisted by:


AGU--%26gt;Ser (A-LEFT, G-UP, U-RIGHT)


CGG--%26gt; Arg (same way…)


AUU--%26gt;lle (same way…)


So, your protein is: Ser- Arg-lle.


Try to understand the processes not just take the answer, lots of questions in this issue will become clear if you give it a try:)
Reply:TCAGCCTAA is the template strand. (remember A--%26gt;T and


C--%26gt; G)





I forget/dont have the table to find the mRNA codons.. but there is a specific codon sequence for both the mRNA and tRNA...


Amino acids


No comments:

Post a Comment