Sunday, July 26, 2009

Do Administrative Templates (ADM files) need to be added manually to ALL PCs and DCs or just one DC?

Say I use OUTLK11.ADM (from Microsoft's Outlook Resource Kit) to add Outlook settings to Group Policy on a Domain Controller (right click on Administrative Templates and add it there - installing the Office Resource Kit puts the ADM files in the Windows\INF folder).





Do I have to do anything else for those settings to be applied to all desktops and users in the domain?





For example, would I need to save OUTLK11.ADM to the C:\Windows\INF folder of each PC, or run GPEdit.msc on each and import the template there? Do I need to add the template to the other DCs? Would the other DC's apply the policies if the one where I installed it crashed?





All I've been able to find are basic instructions that don't indicate which computer you follow them on.





I'm sorry if these speculations sound totally idiotic, but I don't want to make any assumptions.





Your time and expertise are appreciated.

Do Administrative Templates (ADM files) need to be added manually to ALL PCs and DCs or just one DC?
You only need to add Administrative Templates to the computer where you are operating with "AD Users and Computers".





This allows you to change things in group policy which will then filter down to the individual registries on each computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment